SEL Integration Series – Part 4 (an OST Training)
This training series introduces participants to a simple method for integrating Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) into OST settings – S.I.T – Signature practices, Inquiry and reflection, and Thematic SEL connections. The first training focuses on using signature practices to create a safe, welcoming, engaging and inclusive OST space for all youth and adults. The second session centers on effective inquiry and reflective dialogue practices that help empower adults and youth to build their intra – and interpersonal skills in any activity or interaction. In the third training participants use their knowledge of SEL competencies and themes to help youth make SEL connections to other program content areas. Finally, session four culminates in combining the three elements of the SIT method and engaging participants to reflect and share best practices as they create program plans for SEL integration.
In this series, participants have learned the three elements of SEL integration in OST – Signature practices, Inquiry and reflection, and Thematic SEL connections – known as the S.I.T. method. In this final session, participants will combine these three elements in different OST activities, varying common space scenarios and in interactions with parents. Participants will reflect on their journey, share best practices, and devise a plan to ensure that these SEL strategies are integrated throughout the OST schedule, lessons, and daily interactions and more importantly into the culture and climate of the OST program.
Practitioners from Phase II PSELI sites ONLY participate in Part One of the Series. Practitioners from Phase I PSELI sites should register and save the dates for all four sessions.
Core Competencies Addressed:
Core Knowledge Area- Child/Youth Growth and Development
1C: Use Developmental Knowledge to Create Healthy, Respectful, Supportive and Challenging Environments- Entry level and level 1
Primary QIS Scales Addressed:
Supportive Environment: II-L.: Manage Feelings
Interaction: III-M: Sense of Belonging, III-Q. Develop positive peer relationships.
- Review and reflect on the SIT method in the OST program using a SWOT analysis
- Participate in a peer problem solving circle to share best practice across sites
- Plan in collaboration with peers an OST program schedule with lesson plan templates including all three elements of the SIT method
- Name and give examples of each element of the SIT method for SEL integration in OST programs
- Increase cross-site communication and sharing to support SEL integration at their OST program
- Create and periodically update a written OST program plan for SEL integration including the program schedule and lesson plan templates
Thu, March 25, 2021 until Thu, March 25, 2021
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm