SEL Academy Series – SEL VIII – A Second Step Ahead (OST
Participants will have an opportunity in this final session of the series to share their takeaways from intentionally practicing, modeling and transferring SEL skills from the inside out, and shaping the path forward as they continue to implement SEL practice with youth. Participants will be introduced to Second Step curriculum components, which will provide an opportunity to further enhance youth SEL skills with lesson activities that build brain balance, connect SEL to academic content, and provide structures for sharing and dialogue in the Afternoon Meeting.
Prerequisites: Foundations in SEL, Afterschool professionals from a PSELI pilot school, Prime Time Registry ID
Session Materials: Morning Meeting Book, Afternoon Meeting Training Manual
Core Competencies Addressed:
Core Knowledge Area- Child/Youth Growth and Development
1C: Use Developmental Knowledge to Create Healthy, Respectful, Supportive and Challenging Environments.
Core Knowledge Area- Interaction with Children/Youth
5C: Promote positive expression, group experiences between adults and children/youth.
Core Knowledge Area- Learning Environment and Curriculum
4C: Design and develop curriculum to support social emotional development. All levels.
Primary QIS Scales Addressed:
Safe Environment: I-A. Psychological and emotional safety.
Supportive Environment: II-F. Welcoming atmosphere, K. Encouragement.
Interaction: III-M: Sense of belonging, Q. Youth develop positive peer relationships. L. Manage feelings and resolve conflicts.
Engagement: IV-T. Youth opportunities to reflect. High Expectations for Youth and Staff VI-E Academic enrichment.
Family: VIII-I. Positive communication with family.
- Deconstruct learning and implementation of adult SEL skills, explicit instruction and SEL Integration and match to SEL competencies with an equity lens.
- Integrate SEL both in dedicated SEL time and throughout regular program schedule.
- Envision and devise an implementation plan that embeds SEL and diversity, equity, inclusion to meet needs of youth.
- Use one or more SIT (signature practices, inquiry, thematic connection) practice in outside of Afternoon Meeting.
- Skillfully incorporate or guide peers to incorporate a Second Step lesson or other SEL activity into either an Afternoon Meeting or other SEL rotation.
- Include one or more DEI themes into SEL content and activities.
Tue, March 09, 2021
9:00 am - 12:00 pm