SEL Academy Series – SEL VII – Building a Culture of Compassion and Equity (OST)
Having built a foundation of self-compassion and empathetic communication in previous sessions, participants are guided to explore embedding a culture of compassion and equity into the OST environment with intentionality. Participants learn evidence-based adult compassion and common humanity practices that can be applied with coworkers and built into youth activities. Participants are also invited to create an Afternoon Meeting Lesson Plan, applying Responsive Classroom key practices, SEL Academy learning and curricula resources.
Prerequisites: Foundations in SEL, Afterschool professionals from a PSELI pilot school, Prime Time Registry ID
Session Materials: Morning Meeting Book, Afternoon Meeting Training Manual
Core Competencies Addressed:
Core Knowledge Area- Child/Youth Growth and Development
1C: Use Developmental Knowledge to Create Healthy, Respectful, Supportive and Challenging Environments
Core Knowledge Area- Interaction with Children/Youth
5C: Promote positive expression, group experiences between adults and children/youth.
Core Knowledge Area- Learning Environment and Curriculum
4C: Design and develop curriculum to support social emotional development.
Core Knowledge Area- Community and Family Relationships
5C: Engage families and communities in youth development and learning.
Core Knowledge Area- Professional Development and Leadership
7B: Integrate reflective practices and critical perspectives on performance. ALL Levels.
Primary QIS Scales Addressed:
Safe Environment: I-A. Psychological and emotional safety.
Supportive Environment: II-F. Welcoming atmosphere.
Interaction: III-M: Sense of belonging, Q. Youth develop positive peer relationships. L. Manage feelings and resolve conflicts.
Engagement: IV-T. Youth opportunities to reflect.
Family: VIII-I. Positive communication with family
- Define and provide examples of diversity, equity and inclusion practices in the context of positive youth development.
- Understand the neuroscience of bias and exclusion and relate to social-emotional learning skills.
- Practice de-biasing and cultural awareness tools to deepen self- and social awareness and improve relationships at work.
- Identify and implement tangible equity practices that build SEL skills, honor diversity and promote cultural responsiveness and inclusion in OST settings.
- Increased awareness of implicit bias and intentionally practice one de-biasing tool regularly.
- Practice one or more activities with youth during afternoon meeting and other program activities that highlight diversity and cultural histories of varying groups.
- Adapt communication style and explicit curricula tools to meet the cultural/racial/ethnic/gender and functional needs in an Afternoon Meeting or other program activity.
- Increased team and collaborative effort among peers.
Tue, March 02, 2021 until Tue, March 02, 2021
9:00 am - 12:00 pm