SEL Academy Series – Foundations in SEL I
This training provides an introduction to Social and Emotional Learning competencies as defined by the CASEL and Weikart frameworks and relate these competencies to the goals of the participating sites in the Partnership for Social and Emotional Learning Initiative (PSELI). Participants will also explore basic mindfulness and SEL practices to increase resilience and enhance their experiential understanding of SEL in their own lives. Finally, participants will learn the structure and approach behind the selected SEL curriculum for youth in afterschool, Responsive Classroom and Afternoon Meeting.
Prerequisites: Afterschool professionals from a PSELI pilot school, Prime Time Registry ID
Core Competencies Addressed:
Core Knowledge Area- Child/Youth Growth and Development
1C: Use Developmental Knowledge to Create Healthy, Respectful, Supportive and Challenging Environments.
Core Knowledge Area- Interaction with Children/Youth
5C: Promote positive expression, group experiences between adults and children/youth..
Core Knowledge Area- Learning Environment and Curriculum
4C: Design and develop curriculum to support social emotional development. Entry level and level 1..
Primary QIS Scales Addressed:
Safe Environment: I-A. Psychological and emotional safety.
Supportive Environment: II-F. Welcoming atmosphere, I. Active engagement.
Interaction: III-M: Sense of Belonging
- Discuss and explore the meaning of SEL competencies using CASEL and Weikart frameworks, and the four areas of SEL implementation.
- Practice adult self-awareness tools and analyze scientific findings on the impact of SEL.
- Apply and plan to implement the Responsive Classroom approach and a daily Afternoon Meeting.
- List and define SEL Competencies (CASEL, Weikart) and give a basic explanation of the four areas of SEL implementation.
- Articulate and model self-awareness from an experiential and scientific understanding, and through cultivating a regular self-awareness and self-reflective practice.
- Conduct at least two components (Greeting and Sharing) of the Afternoon Meeting following a lesson plan, with basic application of Responsive Classroom approach and at least two signature practices.
Tue, January 12, 2021
9:00 am - 12:00 pm