At the OST PSELI Brunch and Learn on November 1, 2018, attendees experimented with mindfulness practices and learned how they can use the tools to be true role-models of social and emotional intelligence. See below for a recap of the practices:
· Pause frequently in silence – “Everything begins and ends with quiet and rest” – this is a signature SEL “micro-practice” written into Afternoon Meeting Lesson Plans. Use this phrase for a ten-second pause during the moments of transition throughout the day.
· R.A.I.N. (Recognize, Allow, Investigate, Nurture) for Self-Compassion – practice when you are facing a challenging relationship or situation as a way to ease difficult emotions.
· S.T.O.P. (Stop, Take a Breath, Observe inner and outer experience, Proceed with kindness) – a practice when you are overwhelmed or triggered.
· T.H.I.N.K. before you speak by asking yourself – is what I have to say True, Helpful, Informed, Necessary and Kind?
· Hand Model of the Brain by Dr Dan Siegel – these SEL practices can rewire our brain for greater focus, emotional regulation and empathy. Learn more about the science behind mindfulness-based SEL practice in this video by Dr. Dan Siegel.